Saturday, April 2, 2011

...that music can be wise.

I absolutely LOVE music.

I especially love rock music. There are certain lyrics that just come to mind, and today I want to share with you some that I've been thinking of:

Something's missing in me- I felt it deep within me. Yes, love has left me to bleed alone. (Flyleaf- Missing)

Isn't everyone pretending they're all right? Isn't everyone about to fall? Isn't everyone playing beautiful tonight? Isn't everyone about to fall? (The Wrecking- About To Fall)

I'm just a step away, just a breath away from losing my faith today. I'm falling off the edge today. I am just a man- not superhuman. I need a hero to save me now. I need a hero to save my life. A hero will save me just in time. (Skillet- Hero)

Well, I don't know about you, but these songs hold a lot of meaning for me.

Their lyrics relate to so many people- including me. I do feel like I'm missing something. Sometimes I feel like love has left me to bleed. I am always pretending I'm all right, playing beautiful, and about to fall. And I certainly need a hero to save my life.

And then you have those whose albums center on sex, drugs, partying, and drinking. Wow. People don't really think about the words that their teenagers are listening to. I'm glad my parents have Christian music playing in their cars and in our home. I'm not knocking on secular music- some of it is okay. It's just the ungodly things that make me a little queasy.

Try this: when you listen to music, ignore the beat and the rhythm and just listen to the words- absorb their message. Take some time to go through the music you listen to, and reflect on if they're really what you believe. If you're listening to the radio, I recommend tuning in to K-Love and Air1, because they play music that is totally uplifting and most of the songs sound totally like the secular music you hear on the non-Christian stations.

I would also recommend staying on your toes when you're listening to music that's outside of your control. When you're out with your friends, try to pop in a CD that's at least not based on sex or partying. In restaurants, try to go out with a friend so that you can talk and not have to listen to the musical choices of the restaurant (unless they like Christian music). And avoid school dances and night clubs at all costs unless you go to a Christian school.

Bottom line: Be careful. Music is one of the easiest way for the devil to reel you in because his music is everywhere. Just try to expose yourself to positive tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment