Saturday, March 26, 2011

...that we need to stop jumping out of the fish bowl.

My friend had a story to tell me in Health class the other day.

She had a goldfish. The goldfish apparently either didn't like her very much or just wanted something more, because what this incredible goldfish did is quite fantastic.

The goldfish decided to jump all the way out of its bowl, where it proceeded to flop around until it...well, let's just say it went to the big aquarium in the sky.

This reminded me of humanity.

We are the goldfish, and God is the bowl of water. We want something more, and so we jump out of the bowl. God giving us free will means that He won't stop us, and we wind up dying outside the bowl if we don't find a way back in.

I know what you're thinking: Fish are stupid. I would never be so dumb as to just ditch God when I'm looking for something more. We were created to be WAY smarter than any old goldfish.

Really?

I'm not calling you stupid- I just have seemed to pick up the signals that we only go back to the fish bowl of God when we're dying and need to be restored, and we just hop out again once we're fine. We only pray when we want some unnessecary piece of temporary junk or when something isn't going okay. Not a lot of people seem to want God very much when it's all fine, even though He's the one who made it all fine in the first place.

Temptation is tricky- Satan likes it that way. Life outside the fish bowl looks enticing from the inside, and it lures you out. And it's pretty hard to get back in once you're out.

The good news? Satan can't dwell in the fish bowl- there's no possibility of wreaking havoc. There's too much love in there for him. But he can and WILL do everything in his power to get you out and keep you that way.

My advice? It's pretty simple: When you're looking out of the glass walls of this immense fish bowl that is God, just remember that the image is distorted- your eyes are playing tricks on you. Life is always better with God. Fish are always better off in the fish bowl.

I only wish I could have told the fish that.

No comments:

Post a Comment